Thursday, February 28, 2013

DIY, Sharpie Ceramics

I saw on Pintrest this DIY to design ceramic plates with sharpie markers and then bake them in the oven to set the design. After they bake in the over they are safe to eat on, wash and use as everyday dishes. I decided to try this out for myself.

I went to the Christmas Tree shop and found a great selection of plain white ceramic plates for super cheap. The small plates were $1.00 and the larger ones $1.69. I figured even if this came out terrible at least it wasn't an expensive mistake.

I got a gold & silver Sharpie paint pen as well as dozen pack of colored sharpies.
The paint pen's definitely drew better on the plates. The regular colored sharpies came out a little streaky so I would recommend just using paint pen's for this project.

The how to:
Draw any design your little heart desires. 
For the square plate I did a colored chevron pattern. I just free handed this so the lines are a little off, but hey this is an experiment, right?

For the two round plates I decided on a simple gold design.

Bake them in a 365 degree oven for 30 minutes and you have your very own personalized dinner wear.
Just make sure it fully cools off before touching because they come out of the oven VERY hot!

Wouldn't this be a fun DIY for a dinner party or even for a kid's birthday and then have them take home their plate as the give out!

The possibilities here are endless.

If you decide to create your own, send me a picture and I will post it!
I'd love to see your ideas.






5 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous! Really caught my eye on Pinterest so I've pinned it! Thanks for sharing! Nina. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Appreciate it!
      Thanks for reading!
      Shari

      Delete
  2. I tried this with my son just yesterday after seeing a different sharpie plates pin, we used a solid white ceramic plate but only had oven set at 350° baked for 30 minutes. But sadly it started to wash off when we tried to test the duribilty of the design by just washing with soap & water :-( Could just the 15° difference in tempature make that big of a difference? Any ideas? my son was looking forward to making more as gifts this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do they have to be left to cool in the oven. I wanted to do this at an event and there isn't much time after removing from oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the drawings dishwasher safe

    ReplyDelete