Sunday, August 5, 2012

Farm Fresh

Last night we had over our dear friends Lisa & Paul, and their little frenchie Elvis, for dinner. Lisa also loves to cook, probably even more then I do, so I wanted to make sure the menu was up to par. With it being summer and so many wonderful things in season, I knew I wanted to do a Farm to Table menu. 

Like any good hostess I had a spread out when they arrived. Coach Farm, which is in Hudson Valley NY, has a delicious Fresh Goat Ricotta. It's a French twist on the classic Ricotta, having a taste similar to a fresh chevre. I also served a creamy Gorgonzola. I chose this one because it's creaminess softens the blue-cheese sharpness. Along side the cheese's I picked up a fresh baguette at the Local Le Pain Quotidian and some spreads;  a white truffle acacia honey (which is out of this world), black olive tapanade, white fig fruit spread and a fresh basil pesto. I wanted a light, crisp white to go with the apps, so I decided on a Sauvignon Blanc. I got a bottle of "Fournier Sauvignon Vin De Pays Du Jardin De La France, 2010".  It was delicious! It was clean and citrusy and went perfectly with the fresh ricotta and honey. I highly recommend picking up a bottle asap! 




$13.99 a bottle


For the dinner menu I decided to do a Petit Fillet over an Arugula and Parmesan Salad.

Recipe below 

4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus Parmesan cheese shavings
  • 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 lbs Petit Fillet (Beef Shoulder Steak)
  • 2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 1 teaspoon (packed) dark brown sugar
  • 8 cups (lightly packed) arugula
  • 4 large lemon wedges

Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet; boil until reduced to a glaze, about 10 minutes. Stir constantly. Take off flame and set aside. 
In a separate bowl add butter, parsley flakes and garlic powder. Heat until melted. Take off flame and stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and sear on all sides. Baste the steak with the balsamic glaze. Finish cooking to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Take off and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Toss Arugula with a little bit of good Olive Oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon.  Lay out on a long flat plate. Shave Parmesan cheese and add on top of arugula. Slice steak into 1/2" pieces & place atop arugula.
Top steak with Parmesan butter.



With the steak, I served a Burrata and heirloom tomato salad, fresh local corn on the cob and crusty homemade garlic bread.

Lisa and Paul brought some fabulous cheesecake from BITE ME Cheesecake for dessert. They picked it up earlier in the day when they were at Smorgasburg, in Brooklyn.



For the table scape I picked up some pink roses and little tea lights. I wanted something fresh and summery.





Although I must say the food turned out delish, the best part of the night was the great company!



No comments:

Post a Comment