Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snow Day!


Our first snow storm of 2014 left us with almost a foot of snow. 
One of my New Years resolutions was to eat healthier however who really craves a salad when it's snowing and 9 degrees out. So, my healthy eating went on the back burner this weekend and I decided to make chili. 

Topped with sour cream, diced onions, chives and shredded cheddar cheese, it made pushing my resolution back a week well worth it! Paired with a Blue Moon Winter Ale it was truly the perfect snow storm meal! It may not have been great for my waistline but was definitely good for my tummy.

recipe below. 






What you'll need:
1 pound ground beef (I used 90% lean)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
1 (28) ounce can diced tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large saucepan combine the beef, onion and green peppers and saute until beef is browned. Drain the excess fat. Add the can of beans, chili powder, garlic, cumin, jalapenos, tomatoes, salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Top with sour cream, chopped onion, chives and shredded cheddar cheese.
Serve with a bowl of tortilla chips and a winter beer on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment