Thursday, June 13, 2013

Ringing in the Summer with a Backyard BBQ



We had some friends over this past weekend for a Ring in the Summer Backyard BBQ.
I spent so much time planning all the little details and then of course ran out of time to take pictures of all of my hard work (kicking myself). Above are a few shots I was able to catch before our friends started to arrive.
The weather held out (no rain, thank god!) and everyone had a great time drinking, eating and catching up. 

When people first arrived I put out my homemade guacamole (always a crowd favorite) 
What you'll need:
5 ripe Haas avocados
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
A handful of cilantro, chopped
Half an onion, finely chopped
Juice of a lime
salt & pepper to taste
A good bag of Taco chips, my favorite are the Xochitl brand
I served mine in an authentic molcajete

I also put out a crudites platter. My husband said "why don't you just buy the already made one at the grocery and save yourself time"... as if! Obviously that wasn't even an option!
I went to the market that morning and bought fresh carrots, celery, radishes, cucumbers, string beans, zucchini and peppers. 
I set everything up on my Oversized West Elm Board
(this board is a must have! I use it every time I entertain and get endless compliments.)
I also used my Chalkboard West Elm Planters to put the carrots, celery and string beans. Not what I intentionally bought it for, but ended up looking super cute and very Farm to Table. 
I also used my Farmer's Market Baskets to hold the radishes and cucumbers.
The finishing touch was a spinach artichoke and onion dip in scooped out peppers. 

The Dinner Menu was
Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Skewers
Cold Pasta Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Spinach and Pecorino Cheese
Potato Salad and Cole Slaw
Hamburgers and Hot Dogs
Buttermilk Chicken
Corn
and all the fixins

I wrapped plastic utensils in red and white paper napkins and tied them with jute.
I put them in these cute gingham lined picnic baskets I found.



For dessert I made red velvet cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting, sprinkles and a fresh cherry on top.  Our friends brought plenty of cake, cookies and brownies to go around. 


For the tables I used these Berry Baskets and lined them with these Red Checkered Basket Liners and filled them with fresh cherries.
I also filled mason jars with fresh blue hydrangea.

Below, I listed some great links for planning your own Backyard BBQ

And of course, a special thank you to my friend Lisa of Larkspur Studios, who did all the fabulous signage for me!

Such a fun day hanging with all our friends and family.
 Can't wait for an excuse to plan another party soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment