Saturday, November 23, 2013

Perfecto Mexican Night at home

Anyone that knows me knows my love affair with Mexican food. Give me some guac & chips and a margarita and I am one happy, happy camper. 
I've gotten really into doing Mexican night at home. I usually do a fish taco (my go to is Mahi Mahi or Halibut) but I decided to try shrimp for a change. 
I always make my own chipotle slaw. It's so simple and complements the fish perfectly.
We may be headed into winter here in NY but with a killer margarita, fish taco's and a side of guacamole we can close our eyes and pretend we are on a beach somewhere in Mexico!

recipes below.





Hand Muddled Margarita on the Rocks
what you'll need:
1 lime, halved (for rim of glass)
Kosher salt for rim of glass
1/2 cup (5 limes) freshly muddled lime juice
1 cup Triple Sec
3 cups ice
1 cup white tequila
Directions:
Rub the rim of the glass with the cut lime and dip into the salt. Fill 1/2 the glass with ice.
Pour the lime juice, Triple Sec and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake well. Add in the tequila and shake again.
Serve over ice with a cut lime.
I use the Arctic Chill Cocktail Muddler to muddle the fresh limes. It's made from stainless steel and works like a charm. Perfect Margarita every single time! It also works wonders muddling fresh herbs. I highly recommend purchasing one for yourself. 

Chipotle Slaw
what you'll need:
1 bag shredded cabbage (such as Dole classic coleslaw) 
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
Juice of 1 lime
Directions:
In a food processor, combine the mayo, chipotle chilies, sauce and lime juice. Pulse until smooth.
Mix in with the slaw.

Shrimp Taco
what you'll need:
1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup salsa verde (I use Trader Joe's salsa verde)
Packaged of corn tortillas. I use La Tortilla Factory
Haas avocado
Directions:
In a saute pan heat the olive oil. Add in onion and garlic and cook till soft, about 5 minutes. Make sure not to burn. Add in the shrimp, salsa verde and fresh lime juice and stir. Cook until shrimp are pink, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro. 
Heat the tortillas in a 200 degree oven till just warmed. Make sure they aren't in there too long or they will get hard. 
Construct taco with the chipotle slaw on the bottom, shrimp on top, fresh avocado and then sprinkle on some more fresh cilantro.

Enjoy with a margarita.
Perfecto! 








No comments:

Post a Comment