Monday, September 10, 2012

Playing with frosting



With the bad thunderstorms on Saturday night, I needed an activity to keep busy. What better to do then play around with frosting in the kitchen.

A recent Food Network Magazine had a tutorial on how to make all different colored frosting. 
I decided to make three different colored cupcakes...Bubble Gum, Mint Chip & Concord Grape.






I bought 2 boxes of plain white cake mix. 
I added a few drops of red food coloring to the cake mix to give it a pretty peachy color.



I created three different colors by using 1 cup of store bought white frosting and adding the following to each cup:

For Bubblegum: 26 drops of red food coloring 

For Mint Chip: 3 blue, 3 green drops of food coloring

For Concord Grape: 10 blue, 12 red drops of food coloring
(I halved the magazine's food coloring amount for this one because I thought the purple was too dark)



I let the cupcakes cool before frosting them, and then went to town.
They tasted delicious and looked almost too pretty to eat.

Now I just need to find people to give them to so I don't eat all of them myself!

The Finished Product


For adorable cupcake liners check out The Kitchen Pantry on Etsy!


No comments:

Post a Comment